There is a possibility to develop a low pressure area to the South-East of Sri Lanka. Fishing and naval community will be informed in due course in this regard.
Sri Lanka Cyclone Alert
A low will form over the S BOB over the next few days & can become a deep depression or cyclone before striking S #India or #SriLanka later next week. says Jason Nicholls Lead International Forecaster/Senior Meteorologist/International forecasting manager @AccuWeather .
Showers or thundershowers will occur at several places in the sea areas extending from Puttalam to Galle via Colombo. A few showers may occur in the other sea ares around the island.
Winds will be north-easterly in the sea areas extending from Mannar to Hambanthota via Kankasnthureyi, Trincomalee and Batticaloa. Winds will be variable in dirrection in the other sea areas around the island. The wind speed will be 20-30 kmph. The wind speed can increase up to 50kmph at times over sea area extending from Colombo to Kankasnthureyi via Mannar.
State of Sea:
The sea area around the island can be slight to moderate. The sea areas extending from Colombo to Kankasnthureyi via Mannar will be fairly rough at times
Temporarily strong gusty winds (up to 70-80 kmph) and very rough seas can be expected during thundershowers.
Thundershowers accompanied by severe lightning are likely to occur at several places in the Island. The risk is mentioned in the map. There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers. General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
- Heavy rains may trigger landslides in hilly areas.
- Water inundation in low lying areas
- Uprooting of large avenue trees.
- People living in hilly areas (particularly landslide prone areas) are requested to be
- Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant.
- Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
- Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
- For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
Sri Lanka Cyclone Alert & Weather Update
Sri Lanka weather updates via MET. Sri Lanka Monsoon, Floods, Cyclone and Weather Updates and Alerts.