Live Blog…Updating..Coronaviruses / Covid19 is gradually spreading in Sri Lanka. On 27 January, the first confirmed case of the Coronavirus was reported in Sri Lanka, a 44-year-old Chinese woman from Hubei Province in China, she was admitted to the National Institute of Infection Diseases IDH. She had fully recovered and was released from hospital on 19 February.
Never underestimate Coronavirus. Though Sri Lanka relaxed police curfew totally from June 28, Government requests the public to understand the dangers of coronavirus and follow the recommended health practices.
*Maintain physical distance
*Wear a face mask
*Wash hands regularly
Possibility of transmission the #coronavirus to society❗
8 instructors of Kandakadu Rehabilitation Centre on leave and brought back for quarantining. PCR tests indicate 6 of them positive for COVID19. (Marawila, Rajanganaya, Habaraduwa, Gampaha, Kundasale, Homagama)
Stay Safe #SriLanka !
Coronavirus latest updates in Sri Lanka – COVID19 news
Sri Lanka Statistics (As at July 18, 2020)
😷 About 2697 infected (Confirmed Positive +)
😷 About 2012 Recovered & Discharged
😷 11 deaths
😷 135,600 PCR Tests done
😷 950 Navy personnel and their close contacts tested positive for coronavirus
😷 807 overseas arrivals tested positive for coronavirus
😷 542 from Kandakadu Rehabilitation Centre
World Stats (As at July 18, 2020)
😷 About 600,000 deaths
😷 About 14,193,000 infected (Confirmed Positive +)
😷 About 60,200 critical
😷 About 8,456,000 Recovered & Discharged
😷 Spread to 213 countries and territories
1st 100 – 57 days
2nd 100 – 19 days
3rd 100 – 8 days
4th 100 – 4 days
5th 100 – 2 days
6th 100 – 2 days
7th 100 – 3 days
8th 100 – 5 days
9th 100 – 7 days
10th 100 – 5 days
- 2001 tested positive patients. 428 active (1562 recovered, 11 Deaths, 0 critical)
- 11th Coronavirus death reported
- 30 individuals are under observation.
- Over 1562 coronavirus patients recovered and discharged from hospitals so far
- 0 coronavirus patients are critical and at ICU
- So far over 67,000 persons arrested over violating curfew.
- About 100,000 tests done.
- So far 938 Navy personnel and their close contacts tested positive for coronavirus
- About 1900 PCR tests done May 22, the highest number of test on a single day. – Dr. Anil Jasinghe
- About 1800 PCR tests including 700 random PCR tests done May 8, the 2ND highest number of test on a single day. – Dr. Anil Jasinghe
- Sri Lanka records highest single-day jump in positive cases on May 26 as 137 positive cases reported.
- Sri Lanka records 3rd highest single-day jump in positive cases on April 27 as 65 positive cases reported.
- Police arrested 17 suspects who were engaged in spreading misinformation / fake news related to the #Coronavirus.
- Be responsible when posting in Social Media.
- Police to take strict legal actions against those who spread fake news via Social Media
- Curfew continues in Colombo
- Colombo district has most cases
- Sri Lankan Rupee Depreciate ↘️ further !
- Selling Price of American Dollar US$ has reached Rs. 200, highest USD $ exchange rate in Sri Lanka.
- Measures have been taken to return those who stranded in Western Province and unable to get their hometowns. Contact the Office of the Senior DIG Western Province 011-2441147 for further details.
- The deadline to accept applications for University Admission for the Academic Year 2019/2020 extended until two weeks after the re-opening of schools for the 2nd term. – UGC
- A/L Exam will not postponed
- Beware – SMS spam Alert❗ You may receive a random SMS with a notice for free distribution of masks against coronavirus virus. Dont click the SMS URL/Link, if clicked will result in a malicious app that could hijack personal info.
- Government declare another 5 days from April 6 as “Work from home” period for Public & Private Sector (Except essential services). This period is NOT considered as public holiday.
- Police requests public to stay at homes during curfew.
- Atalugama village in Kalutara and Akurana in Kandy declared as “No-entry – No-exit” zones – PMD
Updates via Health Promotion Bureau
World Stats (As at July 5, 2020)
😷 About 533,500 deaths
😷 About 11,383,000 infected (Confirmed Positive +)
😷 About 58,530 critical
😷 About 6,440,000 Recovered & Discharged
😷 Spread to 213 countries and territories
😷 Millions under lockdowns in several countries
#CoronaOutbreak – Stat via internet / www.worldometers.info / CGTN
- First Sri Lankan Coronavirus infected patient ( tour guide ) recovered and discharged from IDH hospital – Hiru reports
- Government decided to deposit Rs. 20,000 training salary to newly recruited graduates – PMD
- Islandwide curfew active till Thursday / Friday
- 3506 individuals are now being quarantined at 45 island-wide Quarantine Centers, including 31 foreigners from 14 countries.
- National Medicine Regulatory Authority has issued a notice to all Retail Pharmacy owners ordering them NOT to issue Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine without a valid prescription from a Specialist Medical Officer.
- Arrangements are being made for the smooth return of foreign tourists who are in #SriLanka on tourist and other visa. Both regular flights and also charter flights may be deployed, as BIA airport remains open for outbound passenger movements
- “If you follow the advice of the doctors and the government, I am sure we can get rid of this epidemic very quickly. I am confident that together, we have the strength to overcome this disaster,” Prime Minister
- National Blood Bank called for blood donations from the public due to a shortage. Due to #Coronairus, community gatherings restricted. Hence please contact and make appointment before you go. Telephone – 0115 332 153 / 0115 332 154
- Sri Lanka government considering to declare 6 days from March 20 – 27, Public & Private Sector as a period to “Work from home. Further details will be notified through main stream media- Adaderana
- Government further says “work from home” period is NOT a Public holiday & urges Public and Private sector employees to work from home- Adaderana
- Police curfew imposed to Ja ela and Wattala police areas from 10pm tonight
- Selling Price of American Dollar US$ has reached Rs. 188.20 highest USD $ exchange rate in Sri Lanka history.
- Sri Lankan people don’t appear to be taking the COVID-19 public health crisis seriously enough – Health Minister.
- The general public have been urged to refrain from harassing foreign nationals currently in Sri Lanka – Police.
- Sri Lanka’s General Election can’t be held on April 25th – Election Commission
- The first Sri Lankan Coronavirus patient (Tour guide) now recovering- Ceylon Today newspaper
- Police curfew in force within Puttalam district & Kochchikade area will be lifted at 8.00 am & will re-impose at 2.00 pm
- Passenger arrivals from all countries stopped at Katunayake Bandaranaike International Airport BIA ✈
- Puttalam District, Western Province (Specially Colombo district) and Southern Province identified as “High Risk” areas for the coronavirus outbreak in Sri Lanka – PHI Association
- UGC extended the university online registration and submitting campus handbook application till April 9 due to coronavirus spreading.
- Presidential Secretariat issued extraordinary gazette, takeover the duties and functions of Department of Immigration and Emigration under the President
- President Gotabaya Rajapaksa instructs to provide 1kg of Dhal for Rs.65 & a tin of canned fish for Rs.100 from midnight today. He promises more relief coming days.
- Former Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa requests government to temporarily postpone schedule General Election
- “There will NOT be immediate nationwide lockdown but considering to implement traveling restrictions to part of Puttalam districts if things get worse coming days” Health Minister
- “There are about 1500- 2000 persons travelled during March 1 to 15 and not admitted to quarantine centres, out of them 800 persons in Puttalam district” Army Commander
- Army officer who was engaged in quarantine process infected with Coronavirus: Military Spokesman.
- Government has declared a 3-day holiday till March 19 to minimize public interactions in curbing spread of Coronavirus. Please support the effort by staying home & practice social distancing.
- The declared 3-day holidays (March 17, 18, 19) are applicable to the private sector also- Adaderana
- GCE A/L examination will NOT be postponed.
- Colombo Stock Exchange CSE has declared today as a market holiday. Accordingly, the market will be closed on 17th March 2020.
- U.S. Embassy Colombo has cancelled all visa services for today ( March 17). The Embassy will remain open for American Citizen Services.
- Government has decided to extend the holiday till March 19 declared due to the spread of the Coronavirus. (NOT for essential services)
- Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will address the nation tonight at 8 pm
- Those who arrived from Europe, South Korea & Iran during March 1-15, requested to call nearest Police station and register. Police requests NOT to come to the police stations.
- Minister Wimal Weerawansa calls for an immediate two-weeks lockdown “Most probably, such decision will be taken by tomorrow morning. I have already informed my opinion to the President.
- The government has decided not to extend the holiday declared due to the spread of the Coronavirus. (March 17 NOT a holiday)
- SriLankan Airlines First Officer who tested positive for COVID-19 attended the Roy-Tho big match. Officials have confirmed the patient had visited Thomian tent for few hours
- Doctors’ union GMOA requests government to extend the public holidays to cover the entire week and prevent unnecessary movements and gathering of people.
- Tamil National Alliance TNA requests government to postpone the schedule general election
- Twitter Hashtag #LockDownSL Trending in Sri Lanka.Social Media reacting heavily, demanding a nationwide lock-down as coronavirus infected patients count increasing.
- Currently there are 12 Quarantine Centres (QCs) across the country. About 2000 passengers are being quarantined. SL Army considering to setup two more new centers
- Foreign Ministry has decided to suspend all services offered by the Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry until 20 March
- All who arrived from Europe, South Korea & Iran from March 1-15 must register with Police immediately
- Courts will be closed from March 17-20.
- All services related to the issuance of driving license at the Werahera Branch and other district offices would be suspended until March 31
- 2 arrested by the Police Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for spreading false information on Coronavirus via social media.
- Several examinations called off due to COVID-19
- 11 museums closed until further notice
- Sri Lanka Planetarium in Colombo will be closed from tomorrow (17) until further notice
- Examination Department restricted and all aone day service and regular counters have been closed until further notice.
- March 16 Monday declared a Public holiday in Sri Lanka to prevent outbreak of Coronavirus – Minister of Public Administration
- Over 1500 passengers at quarantine centers
- All flights ✈ to Sri Lanka from UK, Norway & Belgium suspended for two weeks from tomorrow March 16
- Jaffna Airport closed
- General Elections will be held as planned on April 25, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa said speaking at SAARC leaders’ video conference on COVID-19.
- ACJU requests the Muslim Community to temporarily stop Jumuah & 5 times congregational prayers at Masjids & all kinds of public gatherings
- Police investigations are going on against 23 persons involved in spreading fake news about Coronavirus over social media. Police to take strict actions against those who spreading #Fakenews.
- UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe requests President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to summon a meeting of all heads of political parties and other relevant bodies to discuss the coronavirus situation
- Buddha Sasana Ministry requests Sri Lankans not to involve pilgrimages, tours & trips during coming 2 weeks due to Coronavirus threat.
- Steps will be taken to identify & quarantine those who arrived to Sri Lanka from Italy from 1 to 9 March & had not undergone a quarantine period -DG of Health
- US Embassy Colombo has cancelled all nonimmigrant visa appointments for March 16. Applicants will be allowed to reschedule their appointments. Appointments for American citizens requesting Consular services are not affected.
- Family member of an officer of the Foreign Ministry is diagnosed with COVID -19
- 2 more female Coronavirus positive cases identified. One a returnee from Italy, the other a relative of an earlier patient, bringing total to 10- DG of Health
- Dehiwala Zoo, other zoological & botanical gardens and National Parks under Wildlife Department will be closed for 2 weeks from March 15
- All film halls / Theaters under the National Film Corporation have suspended screening films until further notice
- Foreign Ministry decided to limit the provision of consular services in 11 #SriLanka Missions overseas. Countries include Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden and Austria.
- Archbishop His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith requests all churches to refrain from conducting Sunday & other Mass till end of March
- All major events and public gatherings banned for two weeks in Sri Lanka due to the threat of coronavirus -Health Minister
- 107 under observations (pending results)
- 4 tourists from Poland suspected to be infected with Coronavirus admitted to IDH.
- WSO2 pledges to pay daily workers and support staff while employees work remotely (work-from-home)
- Coronavirus: Three more Sri Lankans tested positive
- Travel ban on European passengers
- Temporary travel ban on eight more EU countries
- Sri Lankan female infected with Coronavirus in Italy recovered
- England cricket tour of Sri Lanka called off due to coronavirus
- Share market Colombo Stock Exchange CSE dropping
- Sri Lankans restricted for leaving for foreign employment
- Coronavirus: Road Safety World Series called off
- All pre-schools to be closed from today
- Don’t use COVID-19 epidemic for political gain: GMOA
- Army requests arrivals to comply with quarantine
- Two COVID-19 suspected patients transferred to IDH
- Son of COVID-19 patient not infected with virus: Health Ministry
- Don’t be misled by false rumours about COVID-19: Police
- All Govt. schools closed till April 20: Minister
- Private tuition classes cancelled until March 27
- COVID19: JVP urges govt. to implement national action plan
- Total of 1,131 passengers arrive during the last three days: Aviation Director
- Temporary travel ban on South Korea, Italy, Iran
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19. COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
Coronavirus outbreak labelled as pandemic by World Health Organization WHO. WHO named it as “Covid-19”. The Wuhan Coronavirus “Covid-19” outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared, but WHO warned governments not to impose travel or trade restrictions on China.
World Stats (As at April 9, 2020)
😷 WHO declares Coronavirus as a pandemic. Earlier declare it a public health emergency
😷 WHO named it as “Covid-19”
😷 86,744 deaths
😷 1,478,288 infected (Confirmed Positive +)
😷 47,993 critical
😷 316,795 Recovered & Discharged
😷 Spread to 209 countries